TheatreWorks hosts a week-long Writers Retreat every year to provide our family of artists the much needed time, space, and resources to refine the next draft of their new play or musical.
June 2011/May 2012
TheatreWorks hosted playwrights Dan Dietz, Lauren Gunderson, Kait Kerrigan, Janine Nabers, and Peter Nachtrieb and composers Jenny Giering, Adam Gwon, Michael Jackson, Brian Lowdermilk, and Chris Miller to collabroate on a new musical. Concieved and written by all 10 writers, in conjunction with New Works Director Meredith McDonough. The team wrote a first draft in one week in June 2011 and will be returning in May 2012 to work on a second draft.
- Kara Lee Cothron and Justin Levine worked on a new musical commissioned by Naked Angels.
- David Clement and playwright Kate Moira Ryan worked on their new musical Weathermen, a rock musical focusing on 6 months (1969-70) in the increasingly tumultuous story of The Weather Underground as they escalate their tactics (think: nudity, rock music, and pyrotechnics).
- Playwright Jason Grote and composer Marisa Michelson worked on a musical adaptation of Jason's play Sheherazade. This musical was developed in Montclair State University's New Works Initiative and New Dramatists' PlayTime.
- Mike Pettry and playwright Lila Rose Kaplan worked on a new musical based on the short story by George MacDonald, The Light Princess, wich is written for younger audiences, but is safe for adults as well.
- Nathan Tysen, Chris Miller, and Craig Wright worked on their TheatreWorks commission Molly's Delicious.
- Brian Lowdermilk and Kait Kerrigan started a new musical with Irish rock influence.
- Indie band The Spring Standards (James Cleare, James Smith, and Heather Robb) worked with playwright Darcy Fowler on a new musical set in a highly theatrical world where consumerism reigns.
- Playwright Matthew Lopez worked on the book for the upcoming musical of Mad Hot Ballroom.
- Playwright Bathsheba Doran worked on the new draft of her play Kin.
- Playwright and composer David Kirshenbaum started working on a new play.